- An entrepreneurial attitude
- A customer centric focus
- Collaborative skills
- Challenging work
- Excellent secondary employment conditions
- In charge of personal development
Why ABN AMRO?
- Building a future proof bank
- A diverse and inclusive culture
- Extensive internal career opportunities
Internship Programme 2023 - Global Markets
ABN AMRO is a Northwest European personal bank in the digital age, with our Head Office based in Amsterdam. Our bank has a diverse history, dating back more than 300 years and is characterised by acquisitions, split-ups and mergers. The current ABN AMRO started in 2010 with the merger with Fortis Bank Nederland, after Fortis, Royal Bank of Scotland and Banco Santander bought ABN AMRO in 2007 and afterwards split up the bank in parts.
Across our offices we have an employee presence of circa. 19,000 people and in the UK, we work alongside 350 of those employees. We are a bank that is committed to playing a serious role in society. Technology helps us to bring banking closer to our clients and what they need. Our areas of focus are inclusion, sustainability, social entrepreneurship, innovation and daily banking. Robust corporate governance is key for us to achieve our strategic ambitions and helps us to support our clients with our banking expertise, reliably and professionally, both in the Netherlands and abroad.
As a bank, we serve clients in the retail, private banking and corporate banking sectors. Within our Northwest European scope, we are also present in a number of specialist activities, such as Corporate and Commercial Banking, Asset Based Finance and Clearing. Our UK branch is part of the Corporate Banking business line and operates within the following areas:
• Corporate and Institutional Banking which includes Corporate Banking, Clearing, Global Markets - Sales & Trading and Financial Institutions
• Commercial Clients which includes Asset Based Finance and Transaction Banking Hub, which provides trade finance and transactional banking services
Our Strategy, Core Values and Purpose
What we do (Our Strategy) – We want to be a personal bank in the digital age
How we do this (Our Core Values) – Care, Courage, and Collaboration
The reason why (Our Purpose) – Banking for better, for generations to come
Our core values of Care, Courage and Collaboration shape our culture. We are looking to live these values in everything we do, for our clients and for each other. It is through our values that we connect and that we are able to create an environment where everyone can be themselves. As a result, we enjoy working together, always wanting to stretch ourselves and we’re keen to go that extra mile. We feel embodying this ethos is important in a challenging environment where change is all around us and expectations are high.
Together, these principles foster a culture of working together and permanent learning. It’s only with this mindset that we bring the best in ourselves to deliver a high standard of performance. Our culture is the catalyst for the evolution in which we find ourselves: our people are imaginative, trust each other and do just that little bit extra to help clients.
You can learn more about ABN AMRO via our website.
Our Internship Programme
We are delighted to launch our insightful Summer placements of various lengths across several departments within our London office.
6 to 7 weeks, commencing mid-June to mid-September
8 to 10 weeks, commencing in June
Process & Controls
3 months, commencing June
6 weeks, commencing in June
8 to 12 weeks, commencing June/July
4 weeks, commencing mid-July
8 to 10 weeks, commencing June/July
1 to 2 months, commencing in July
What do we offer?
• Valuable insight into Financial Services
• Opportunity to work in a dynamic, inclusive and flexible environment where you are encouraged to grow and develop
• Collaboration on various activities and meaningful projects that drive towards the bank’s objectives and supports our clients
• Working with a wide range of people with different backgrounds, opinions and ideas
• An environment where you will be challenged on a daily basis to refine your professional and soft skills
• Mentoring by the line manager of the department, who will equally ensure you are sufficiently supported through guidance and any training required
Department and Team Culture
As an intern, you will work within ABN AMRO’s Debt Origination team. The Debt Capital Markets (DCM) group has an open dialogue with Financial Institutions and Corporate issuers, providing analysts with the opportunity to work at the heart of Fixed Income markets.
The team maintains client relationships and actively pitches to facilitate clients’ funding strategies and needs as well as advising on structuring and providing expertise and market intelligence to assist with tailored financing solutions. DCM is responsible for the origination and execution of a wide variety of transactions and debt products (private instruments and public bonds), thereby supporting issuers in accessing a global market of institutional investor across currencies. Post-origination, we continue to assist our clients with their ongoing debt portfolio management through liability management and derivative transactions.
What will your responsibilities look like?
In this team, you will be challenged but also rewarded with lots of responsibilities, actual contribution and a great team culture. You will gain an understanding of the key elements of originating, structuring and executing transactions, with active participation in these discussions being highly encouraged.
The day-to-day will be a combination of analysing market developments and macro trends, financial analysis, producing pitching materials and pricing updates for respective products, data collection and process management, live transaction exposure and interaction with clients and DCM-related professionals.
During the internship there is plenty of time and opportunity to learn more about the different teams within the debt chain and build your network and knowledge of ABN AMRO’s client coverage and other teams within Global Markets division, such as Syndicate, Sales & Trading (distribution), Fixed Income Research, Loan Markets and Risk Management solutions. As such, candidates who have a natural interest in both markets and corporate finance will find it a particularly rewarding environment and have extensive opportunity to guide their career.
An intern within DCM, your key tasks and attributes may include but are not limited to:
• Develop a strong understanding of market fundamentals and be able to make market-informed contributions on a broad array of financing strategies that address clients’ specific needs
• Design highly-tailored presentations for clients to outline solutions to their financing needs (e.g. general corporate financing, acquisition financing)
• Work on live transactions and interact with clients and professionals from across the bank as you build your network and experience
• Work closely with investment banking teams on client coverage and origination
• Work with sales teams and traders in Global Markets to coordinate and manage live deal executions, and liaise with Global Research to stay informed on the latest market developments
What are we looking for?
• Penultimate year undergraduate student (studying a relevant degree) or second/third year apprenticeship student equivalent
• Enthusiastic individuals with contemporary values
• A motivated interest in Financial Services
• You'll need to demonstrate drive, innovation and a genuine interest in the financial markets
• Ability to communicate clearly and comprehensively with a variety of audiences
• Solid IT skills; proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships
• Excellent collaboration skills
• Effective at following instructions
• Team-work, leadership and problem-solving skills, plus creativity are key qualities, as is the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and interact with a variety of people
• Displays analytical and problem-solving skills
• Influences decisions and outcomes through effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrates integrity and ethics by earning other’s trust and respect through consistent honesty and professionalism in all interactions
How to Apply
If you feel that you would be a great candidate, please submit your interest for the placement that best suits your skills, ambitions and availability via the ‘Apply’ button. We understand that you may feel your CV isn’t extensive or wholesomely capture who you are and your skillset, for this reason we would like to hear more about you in a cover letter! Please note that you’ll need to submit this alongside your CV via the portal when prompted.
Successful applicants will be contacted regarding next steps which will involve a selection process consisting of an interview with the department of interest.
For more information, please contact:
+44 203 192 9342
Salary Indication: (London Living Wage - £11.95 per hour)
£90 per day, equivalent to £20,430 per annum and £3,600 to £4,500 for duration of placement
Working hours per week
Hybrid working arrangement with 4 days in office and 1 day working from home (likely to be Friday)
Right to Work Requirements
Please note you must be a British National or have an existing UK Right to Work status to apply
Hoe ziet je sollicitatieprocedure eruit?
1 Reageer online op een vacature
2 Wij beoordelen je CV en motivatie
3 We nodigen je uit voor een interview
4 Daarna volgt mogelijk een assessment
5 Je ontvangt een aanbieding
6 Gefeliciteerd met je baan!
7 Welkom bij ABN AMRO!